Friday, April 07, 2023

What's 10 Years in the Scheme of Things?

It's hard to beleive it has been ten years since the last post in the Garden. Well, not really, I guess. It's been an interesting time and maybe I'll fill the Garden with some details of the last decade or so. I don't really know. All I do know is that this feels nice. Typing thoughts and theories and craziness. Let's see where it goes... It's the eve of my 53rd birthday. Crap and wow. I'm sure if someone told me back in my mid-twenties that I'd make it to 53 I would have denied it. That would have been stupid bravado. An ignorant suggestion to be more like James Dean or Jim Morrison or Jack Kerouac. It all sounds cool when you're in your twenties. But now that I have children closer in age to those who died so young, too young, I think I am more appreciative of the years. I've seen a lot in my 53 and I'm good with it. What other choice do I have? So my 54th year begins with a day off of work. I had planned to work but it turns out the store is closed for Easter - go figure. I just hope I get holiday pay. The second day is going to be an interesting one. It involves lawyers and divorce. And that's just life. I don't know how things will turn out on day two. All I can do is continue to be the best person I can be and the best father I can be and no longer be the best husband I can be. But I can't predict the future. And I already got two days ahead of myself. Let's rewind a bit... Okay so I have no idea how to explain the last ten years of my life! I raised my kids. I worked at their school. I managed diabetes. I packed lunches. I drove to practices. I made dinners. We got through the pandemic. I survived. And now I'm another year older. And so are the kids. One going off to college. The others close behind. And I am groping to find my life. It has been completely centered around my children for almost 18 years and now that is changing. So I need to change. I need to grow. I need to plant a new garden. Let's see what I can do.

No comments: