Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Thank You Don McLean

So the trip to music lessons was pretty uneventful. Violin. Drums. Piano. The Thrill gets a snack and a Kindle while the others work their craft. There weren't more than four or five fights in the car on the way home so that's some good quiet time. We have been relegated to a basic classic rock station in the car. A little rock from the 60's, some Motown and disco/70's hits. It's pretty safe for the kids. The only problem I ever run into is the news. Every morning on the way to school at 7:44 a woman starts her report with a rape or murder or worse. I've found that is a lot easier explaining what happened "the day the music died" than anything that occurs in the news.

"I drove the Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry."

Last week I put together my old stereo for Hank. The 5-disc changer I bought 20 years ago still works! And so do the CD's! Think about it - are 8-tracks and cassettes still working? They have to be landfill fodder by now. Anyway, I showed him how to work the remote and gave him a bunch of albums to listen to. Beatles, Eagles, Tupac-Shakur, etc. And now every time I go into the basement to get something out of the fridge or freezer I get to yell at him for leaving the stereo on. I think I am officially ready for teenagers.

"I was a lonely, teenage broncin' buck with a pink carnation and a pick-up truck..."

I am completely out of the modern music scene. Okay, I was never really into any music scene, but I at least used to know a lot about new up and coming bands and artists. Now, the best I can do is critique artists on Sesame Street. So set your piggies free with Ziggy Marley, figure out which monster ate your red 2 with Elvis Costello, and laugh your ass of with Adam Sandler rhyming with Elmo.

"So, C'mon, Jack be nimble, Jack be quick - Jack Flash sat on a Candlestick."

I have yet to learn to play an instrument. I cannot read music. I am actually learning more about music from my kids than at any other time of my life. I was never forced or encouraged to play an instrument as a child. And I don't have a problem with that. I just have to make sure I walk that fine line. And hope my children appreciate music as much as I do. I am going to play a song on the guitar some day. It's a goal, albeit a minor one. But it is also one that my children can help me with. And I look forward to that.

"Them good ol' boys we're drinking whiskey and rye, singing..."






No comments: